Subject: bug#56800: closed (Re: bug#56800: Pointless "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID ###.")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:18:01 +0000

Your bug report

#56800: Pointless "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID ###."

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56800: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56800
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56800: Pointless "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID ###."
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:17 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:22:46 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I meant something like what is in the attached patch. The problem is that _everything_ got moved to
> `...-query-functions', including that part that has nothing to do with querying.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-28 release branch.

Subject: Pointless "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID ###."
From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:25:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.33,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-07-26

Practically every time I start up Emacs, I get this pointless warning and a
question if I really want to use the desktop file anyway. If there were
actually another Emacs running, this warning would be fine, even useful.
However, in 95% of cases here it happens because computer was shut down,
Emacs crashed etc. In fact, I have just now verified that even if I cleanly
`M-x kill-emacs RET' my Emacs and then start a new one, the new still
thinks that the old, killed Emacs might still be using the desktop file
somehow (i.e. PID is that of the previous Emacs process).

The code in `desktop.el' should really check if the process with that PID
still exists before claiming that it might be using the desktop file
somehow.

Paul