Subject: 29.0.50; Hard newlines not respected in code comments?

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:19:29 +0530

Are hard newlines supposed to be respected when they are in code
comments?  To demonstrate what I mean consider the two following cases
in emacs -Q and after M-x use-hard-newlines RET,

1. Paste the following lisp comment in the *scratch* buffer

       ;; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp.
       ;; To create a file, visit it with C-x C-f and enter text in its buffer.
       
   And make the newline after "Lisp." hard (RET C-k works).  Then
   say M-q, "To create" creeps up to the first line.

2. Paste the following text in a text-mode buffer

       This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp.
       To create a file, visit it with C-x C-f and enter text in its buffer.

   Then make the newline after "Lisp." hard again.  Say M-q now, "To
   create" stays in the second line.

(1) happens in python-mode and sh-mode too so I don't think it is
major-mode specific?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 26, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2022-07-22 built on astatine
Repository revision: 12a3137cd381cb743768033e789b900b015041d7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-sound=alsa --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-json
 --without-xaw3d --without-gconf --without-libsystemd --without-cairo'
Configured features:
ACL DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XFT
XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  text-scale-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/faceup/faceup hides /home/viz/lib/ports/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/faceup

Features:
(shadow ecomplete emacsbug view xref expand-region text-mode-expansions
cc-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom org-element avl-tree generator
org-capture doct pdf-sync pdf-annot facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links
pdf-history descr-text wdired misc tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-start tramp-compat ls-lisp
nov ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-shell ob-racket async ob-async cdlatex
texmathp ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-tempo tempo org-id org-refile ol-man org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs esxml-query dired-aux gnus-dired timezone
display-line-numbers ement-room-list ement ement-notify notifications
ement-room ement-lib ement-api ement-structs plz ement-macros
taxy-magit-section magit-section taxy ewoc dns rfc1345 dabbrev
smerge-mode log-edit add-log avy flyspell ispell time-stamp shortdoc
completion pulse color reveal noutline outline bug-reference recentf
tree-widget misearch multi-isearch cl-print help-fns radix-tree
mule-util apropos url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth eww xdg url-queue
mm-url gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-bcklg qp network-stream
nsm gnus-async sort gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnfolder nnmaildir nnagent nnml
vc-backup log-view pcvs-util vc vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr face-remap sh-script smie
executable files-x shell-command+ diff cursor-sensor shell pcomplete
server paredit edmacro kmacro eros time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt
flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt wordel-autoloads
sokoban-autoloads ement-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
taxy-magit-section-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
taxy-autoloads plz-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads
transmission-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads
racket-mode-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads faceup-autoloads eros-autoloads
flymake-shellcheck-autoloads writegood-mode-autoloads
siege-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads filladapt-autoloads compose quail
scroll-other-window org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads
change-env-autoloads math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads
ob-async-autoloads async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads
valign-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site pdf-occur
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu
pdf-tools package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
json map byte-opt url-vars compile comint ansi-color cus-edit edebug
debug backtrace find-func wid-edit pdf-view password-cache jka-compr
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs exif pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads mb-depth
repeat visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads time format-spec battery
dbus filenotify xml dom disp-table lacarte-autoloads
shell-command-plus-autoloads winner ring delsel cus-load easy-mmode
avy-autoloads finder-inf vc-backup-autoloads compat-autoloads icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs rx filecache
imenu-xref-autoloads derived chemtable-autoloads molar-mass-autoloads
saveplace-pdf-view saveplace bookmark text-property-search pp
saveplace-pdf-view-autoloads pcase inspector-autoloads xr-autoloads
straight-autoloads cl-seq info cl-extra help-mode straight subr-x
cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv vz-nh-theme
vz-options-theme rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1185460 222926) (symbols ?0 54909 174) (strings 32 331022 18751) (string-bytes 1 15084068) (vectors 16 124750) (vector-slots 8 2627127 187625) (floats 8 1200 3465) (intervals ?8 120571 4446) (buffers 992 ?P))