Subject: bug#5679: Emacs 23.1.93 pretest

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:54:36 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:29:59 +0300, <[email-masked]> said:

>> Anyway, is `xterm -fa terminus:style=oblique' also broken?  If so,
>> we can conclude this is not a bug at the Emacs side.

> Yeah, this is broken as well. So please excuse my ignorance, but
> where exactly the problem is?

According to the experiments so far, it seems to be caused by Xft in
addition to some conditions that are not yet sure (maybe library
versions or settings?).

> I.e., why emacs 22 renders it fine?  What is a work-around for emacs
> 23?

Emacs 22 uses the traditional text drawing aka X core fonts, and many
GNOME and GTK+ applications use cairo rather than Xft.  A workaround
would be to use the traditional text drawing as in Emacs 22 by
preferring the X core font driver to the Xft one (see `fontBackend' in
the "Table of X Resources for Emacs" node in the Emacs info).

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]