Subject: Re: bug#5679: Emacs 23.1.93 pretest

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:23:36 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:06:35 -0500, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> said:

> <[email-masked]> writes:
>> $ emacs -q --no-site-file
>> - Move cursor to the /ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY/ text in the splash
>> screen
>> - M-x customize-face <ENTER> <ENTER>
>> - Change "Font Family:" to "terminus"
>> - Select "State|Set for Current Session"
>> - C-x b <ENTER> to return to splash screen, and
>> 
>> /ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY/ looks like in the attached file.

> Fraid I still can't reproduce this.  One possibility I can think of is
> that the particular version of terminus you are using is buggy, and
> reports the right overhang incorrectly.  Strange...

I tried installing the PCF fonts extracted from
xfonts-terminus-oblique_4.26-2.1_all.deb to ~/.fonts on Mac OS X 10.6.
The result was:

  1. I could reproduce the above problem on Emacs 23.1.92.
  2. But I could also reproduce it on Emacs 23.1, unlike OP.
  3. `xterm -fa terminus:style=oblique' showed the same problem.
  4. I also tried my preliminary proof-of-concept cairo port (*)
     adjusted to Emacs 23.1.91, and it didn't show the problem.  This
     explains why many GNOME and GTK+ apps don't show the problem with
     the same fonts.

So, at least for my case, a possible explanation is that it is a
problem in Xft drawing for some versions or settings.  What's not
explained is the inconsistency between the result 2 above and OP's
experience with Emacs 23.1.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]

(*) http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00390.html