Subject: bug#5679: Emacs 23.1.93 pretest

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:22:50 +0300

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

> <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> $ emacs -q --no-site-file
>> - Move cursor to the /ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY/ text in the splash
>>   screen
>> - M-x customize-face <ENTER> <ENTER>
>> - Change "Font Family:" to "terminus"
>> - Select "State|Set for Current Session"
>> - C-x b <ENTER> to return to splash screen, and
>>
>> /ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY/ looks like in the attached file.
>
> Fraid I still can't reproduce this.  One possibility I can think of is
> that the particular version of terminus you are using is buggy, and
> reports the right overhang incorrectly.  Strange...

Yeah, it's really strange. I see it on 2 different computers running
Debian stable and Debian testing. On both emacs23 gives this effect.
And the fact that emacs22 renders fine means that it's probably not font
issue, but maybe a problem of rendering library? What distribution do
you use?

In addition I've just checked that GNOME itself renders this font fine
both in its font selection dialog and in gnome-terminal, so the only
place where I can see the breakage is emacs run in X. Maybe to compile
emacs with some other options to isolate the cause of the problem?

BTW, emacs 23.1.1 only breaks rendering after I move cursor over the
text. If I, for examle, select the text (active region so it's
highlighted), the rendering becomes OK. Emacs 23.1.93 is more consistent
and always renders bad.

-- Sergei.