Subject: Re: bug#56789: 28.1.90; Emoji composition problems with Harfbuzz 5.0.1-1

From: Simon Pugnet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:26:48 +0000

"Robert Pluim" <[email-masked]> writes:

> What does hb-view show? Something like
>
> hb-view  --output-file=foo.svg --font-size=13 \
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf \
> -u 1f469,200d,2764,fe0f,200d,1f468
>
> and then display foo.svg

That highlighted a missing shared library: -

  hb-view: error while loading shared libraries: libchafa.so.0: cannot
  open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched through Arch's package repository and found: -

  $ pacman -Ss chafa
  community/chafa 1.12.0-1
      Image-to-text converter supporting a wide range of symbols and
      palettes, transparency, animations, etc.

I installed this and then hb-view started working. The output was as
I'd expect: a properly composed image. I restarted Emacs however the
same problem persists. Perhaps I need to rebuild Emacs so I'll try
that in a bit.

If that fixes it then it looks like the Arch harfbuzz package now
depends on chafa, however it is not listed as a dependency. That would
then be a bug with the Arch packaging I think.

Thanks for your help!

--
Simon Pugnet
https://www.polaris64.net/