Subject: Re: [bug#56766] [PATCH] gnu: exiv2: Fix test failure on ppc64-le

From: Marcel van der Boom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:38:51 +0200

Thanks for the review, some notes/questions inline below.

[Maxime Devos]:

> The 'patches' field is delayed, not thunked, so only the first 
> system+target it sees will take effect. This will break things 
> if for whatever reason you compute the derivation of the package 
> for multiple systems in the same process.

Where can I read up on 'delayed' vs 'thunked' to understand that 
concept? I have no idea what it is at the moment and the manual 
does not mention this.

> To solve things, I recommend:

> 1. Inform upstream that the test (or the code it tests) is 
> broken on
>    ppc64le, such that a better test can be devised and everyone 
>    (not
>    only Guix) benefits,

This has been done. Their reply, in short: ppc64 is not on their 
supported platforms list and they delegate the fix to others.

marcel