Subject: Re: bug#56747: 28.1.90; Char fold search doesn't work

From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 21:43:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> Which part of the manual led you to expect the above behavior?

This page (info "(emacs) Lax Search") says:

  In addition, ‘a’ matches other characters that resemble it, or have it
  as part of their graphical representation, such as U+249C
  PARENTHESIZED LATIN SMALL LETTER A and U+2100 ACCOUNT OF (which looks
  like a small ‘a’ over ‘c’)

Those 2 characters are the ones I tried so I was expecting to make it
work.

> By default, Emacs only folds "canonically-equivalent" characters, and
> those two aren't equivalent to 'a'.

Then I don't understand what the manual is saying. Can you please
explain?

By the way, you are doing an amazing job with Emacs! Thank you so much
Eli.

-- 
Damien Cassou

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill