Subject: bug#56739: 29.0.50; `cl-psetq' and `cl-psetf' fail to recognize symbol macros

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 09:08:36 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> > Michael, did you have a chance to look into this?  It would be nice to
>> > get this bug fixed.
>>
>> I would rather leave this one to Stefan to be honest because I'm only
>> partially understanding what is needed.
>
> Or maybe Gerd can help?

Not sure I can help.

In CL, all the p?set[qf] handle symbol macros.  I haven't tested this,
but from doc strings I'd say none of these supports symbol macros in
Emacs.

There is also an intricacy here:

Setq, with CL behaviour, would behave like setf for symbol macros.  And
setq is in C.  I don't know if maintainers would accept such a change in
C (performance, dependencies, ...).

So...