Subject: bug#56733: Tryton LTS

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:02:06 +0200

Follow-up to https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56706 „gnu: Tryton application 
and framework: Update to 6.2.x.“.

Am 23.07.22 um 18:11 schrieb Vinicius Monego:
>> I'd suggest keeping Tryton at 6.0 to retain compatibility with GNU
>> Health, which tracks only the LTS versions of Tryton (minor versions
>> at
>> 0).
> To clarify a little further, GNU Health [1] (to keep it short, it is a
> set of health-related tryton modules) is not yet packaged in Guix. I
> did attempt to package it but got stuck in test errors in the check
> phase.

In general Guix is a rolling release distribution. Thus IMHO tryton 
should be updated.

Anyhow I understand that we need a LTS variant for GNU Health and other 
conservative users. We could create a „tryton-lts.scm“ which holds the 
LTS versions, inherited from the current release. Creating such a file 
is expected be to not much of a problem.

WDYT?

> The Tryton release process is explained in [2]. Normal releases have
> one year of support, while LTS releases have 5 years. Tryton has a huge
> package ecosystem and is mostly used in enterprise where LTS is more
> important. Tracking non-LTS releases would mean huge and breaking
> upgrades at least every year. Also 6.2 will be EOL in 3 months [2].
>
> [1]https://www.gnuhealth.org/
>
> [2]https://discuss.tryton.org/t/release-process/395

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          [email-masked]                |
|www.crazy-compilers.com  | compilers which you thought are impossible |