Subject: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Limit extreme shadow thickness on Lucid

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:30:12 +0200

Hi,

Here is a patch for the Lucid backend.  Its goal is to limit the
thickness of shadows on arrows, toggle buttons and radio buttons.
Otherwise with a rather large value of the shadowThickness resource
those three widgets are incorrectly displayed.

>From 50c6267a3ba3b05b64ac40686723199e679e5ffc Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:23:04 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Limit extreme shadow thickness on Lucid backend

* lwlib/xlwmenu.c (tame_thickness): New function to limit shadow
thickness on arrows and buttons in the Lucid backend.
(draw_arrow, draw_shadow_rectangle, draw_shadow_rhombus): Use it.
---
 lwlib/xlwmenu.c | 14 ++++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lwlib/xlwmenu.c b/lwlib/xlwmenu.c
index deea50c810..ce48fea078 100644
--- a/lwlib/xlwmenu.c
+++ b/lwlib/xlwmenu.c
@@ -561,6 +561,13 @@ size_menu (XlwMenuWidget mw, int level)
     }
 }
 
+/* Used to limit shadows thickness on arrows, toggle buttons and radio
+   buttons.  */
+static int
+tame_thickness(int width, int thickness)
+{
+  return ((width < (3 * thickness)) ? (width / 3) : thickness);
+}
 
 /* Display code */
 
@@ -575,7 +582,7 @@ draw_arrow (XlwMenuWidget mw,
 {
   Display *dpy = XtDisplay (mw);
   GC top_gc, bottom_gc;
-  int thickness = mw->menu.shadow_thickness;
+  int thickness = tame_thickness(width, mw->menu.shadow_thickness);
   int height = width;
   XPoint pt[10];
   /* alpha = atan (0.5)
@@ -655,6 +662,7 @@ draw_shadow_rectangle (XlwMenuWidget mw, Window window, int x, int y,
 	bottom_gc = mw->menu.shadow_bottom_gc;
     }
 
+  /* Toggle button case */
   if (!erase_p && width == height && width == toggle_button_width (mw))
     {
       points [0].x = x;
@@ -668,6 +676,8 @@ draw_shadow_rectangle (XlwMenuWidget mw, Window window, int x, int y,
       XFillPolygon (dpy, window,
                     down_p ? mw->menu.button_gc : mw->menu.inactive_button_gc,
                     points, 4, Convex, CoordModeOrigin);
+
+      thickness = tame_thickness(width, mw->menu.shadow_thickness);
     }
 
   if (!erase_p && down_p)
@@ -724,7 +734,7 @@ draw_shadow_rhombus (XlwMenuWidget mw, Window window, int x, int y,
 		     GC top_gc, GC bottom_gc)
 {
   Display *dpy = XtDisplay (mw);
-  int thickness = mw->menu.shadow_thickness;
+  int thickness = tame_thickness(width, mw->menu.shadow_thickness);
   XPoint points [4];
 
   /* Choose correct GC with a standard default if NULL */
-- 
2.37.0

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.1, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.6, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2022-07-22 built on elite.giraud
Repository revision: 1767f796b0e0649219e37b6b205f4d414a4364c6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: OpenBSD elite.giraud 7.1 GENERIC.MP#620 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*lh

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220717.1713/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic mm-archive url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth qp utf-7 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nsm
nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache nnrss w3m w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon
w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util whitespace gnus-dired magit-patch
executable vc-svn bug-reference magit-extras cus-start pulse face-remap
magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base
which-func vc-git diff-mode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher magit-section
benchmark dash compat-27 compat-26 compat compat-macs paredit edmacro
icomplete time battery exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xkb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server stimmung-themes modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes osm bookmark mingus libmpdee reporter edebug debug
backtrace transmission diary-lib diary-loaddefs color calc-bin calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs w3m-load mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main
mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus mu4e-view-common mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail mu4e-mark
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif
mu4e-lists mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg nnselect gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb eieio-opt eieio-base
timezone org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file url-dired svg dom gnus-group mm-url gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source imap rfc2104 utf7 netrc
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus message yank-media
rfc822 mml mailabbrev sendmail gmm-utils mailheader nnheader mail-utils
range visual-basic-mode cl web-mode disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs cc-bytecomp
slime-asdf grep slime-tramp tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load wid-edit tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
lisp-mnt gud apropos etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode
archive-mode noutline outline pp hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads
dired-aux dired-x dired desktop frameset dired-loaddefs so-long advice
notifications dbus xml repeat tex-site hyperbole-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads paredit-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
stimmung-themes-autoloads transient-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
speedbar imenu ezimage dframe compat-autoloads package let-alist
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mm-view mml-smime
mml-sec epa gnus-util time-date smime gnutls puny dig mailcap
url-handlers mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core password-cache json map byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
compile rx text-property-search comint files-x ansi-color ring cconv
url-vars epg cl-extra help-mode derived cl-seq rfc6068 epg-config subr-x
easy-mmode cl-macs inline cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv pcase rmc iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2582707 223778)
 (symbols 48 91240 13)
 (strings 32 248509 22276)
 (string-bytes 1 8706255)
 (vectors 16 41986)
 (vector-slots 8 2001870 210320)
 (floats 8 724 448)
 (intervals 56 12484 547)
 (buffers 992 21))

-- 
Manuel Giraud