Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/17] Update Tryton to 6.2.

From: Vinicius Monego <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:11:28 +0000

Em sex, 2022-07-22 às 15:27 -0300, Vinicius Monego escreveu:
> Em sex, 2022-07-22 às 17:45 +0200, Hartmut Goebel escreveu:
> > Update all existing Tryton packages to the latest 6.2.x version and
> > add the
> > latest version of all Tryton modules new in 6.2.
> > 
> > This needs to be applied after issue 56701.
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I'd suggest keeping Tryton at 6.0 to retain compatibility with GNU
> Health, which tracks only the LTS versions of Tryton (minor versions
> at
> 0).

To clarify a little further, GNU Health [1] (to keep it short, it is a
set of health-related tryton modules) is not yet packaged in Guix. I
did attempt to package it but got stuck in test errors in the check
phase.

The Tryton release process is explained in [2]. Normal releases have
one year of support, while LTS releases have 5 years. Tryton has a huge
package ecosystem and is mostly used in enterprise where LTS is more
important. Tracking non-LTS releases would mean huge and breaking
upgrades at least every year. Also 6.2 will be EOL in 3 months [2].

[1] https://www.gnuhealth.org/

[2] https://discuss.tryton.org/t/release-process/395