Subject: Re: [bug#56684] [PATCH 1/3] Bump rust 1.57 -> 1.58

From: Jim Newsome <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:47:59 -0500

On 7/21/22 19:08, Maxime Devos wrote:
> You aren't bumping the version but adding a new version of the Rust 
> package, the old one is still there. Also, conventionally it is named 
> updating in Guix, and a commit message is missing. For examples see the 
> git history.

Thanks, got it.

> Are all the intermediate steps needed, or could you reduce the number of 
> new intermediate packages?
 >
 > E.g., you could try going directly from 1.57 to 1.60 without
 > intermediate steps. If that's possible, it would be less inefficient to
 > compile.

Good question. I assumed that each version was only compilable from the 
previous version based on that being how the java compiler works, and 
looking at the chain that's already here. From a quick look I don't see 
any documented policy to that effect, though, so maybe it's worth a try.

> Also, there are already patches for updating rust, see 
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54439>. Please look for 
> already existing patches before posting duplicates, to avoid double 
> work, etc.

Oops! It looks like that is both a bit further along and more ambitious 
than my version. It's also been lingering for a while, while guix's 
version of Rust falls further behind, making me wonder if it's worth 
trying to move things up with something closer to my naive approach in 
the meantime.

Still, I'll take a closer look at that and see if there's anything I can 
do to help that one along.

Thank you for the quick feedback!

-Jim