Subject: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:05:16 +0000

>>>> In this case, "arbitrarily large" contradicts the text that follows, 
>>>> which describes the circumstances where that might not be true.
>>>
>>> I've carefully chosen the words of the title, and it doesn't 
>>> contradict what follows, as far as I understand.  It says "Emacs is 
>>> now capable of editing files with arbitrarily long lines", in which 
>>> "capable" means that it can do it, but will not always do it.  The 
>>> circumstances that are described in the text that follows tell the 
>>> reader that the remaining cases in which Emacs would choke on such 
>>> files are outside of Emacs' responsibility, they are the 
>>> responsibility of major and minor mode writers.
>>
>> I see that you've already reverted.  Sigh.
>
> I didn't revert.  I've changed back only some parts of the changes you 
> made, and left others as you changed them.
>

You did revert the only change of which I said it was important to me, and 
without discussing it: the NEWS title "Emacs is now capable of editing 
files with arbitrarily long lines."  Which isn't boasting about an 
achievement, but an accurate statement.  Adding "unlike all other editors 
out there" would have been boasting about an achievement (but an accurate 
statement, too).