Subject: Re: bug#56682: feature/improved-locked-narrowing 9dee6df39c: Reworked locked narrowing.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 08:43:23 +0200

> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 22:42:56 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Anyway, after thinking about this, I cannot agree to removing what we 
> > now have on emacs-29.  It's too late for that, and I'm not prepared to 
> > delay the pretest for any significant time.  So we will go into the 
> > pretest with what we have, and decide what to do with it in Emacs 29.2 
> > and 30.1 according to how the chips will fall.
> 
> Okay, if that's your decision.  IMO just going back to what the code did 
> earlier is (very) safe, but I cannot do that without your approval.

It might be safe or it might not be safe.  We will not know for sure
without some period of people using that.  And I'm unwilling to delay
the pretest by any significant time, sorry.

> > I guess by suggesting to remove the code you were also telling me that 
> > you won't be fixing those documentation issues, which you promised to 
> > work on a month ago?  If so, I guess this is one more buck that stops 
> > with me...
> 
> Even if I think it's not TRT to do, I can still do that.

Then please do.  This is one of a small number of issues whose
resolution delays the pretest ATM.  Which is why I pinged you several
times over the last month about it.

TIA