Subject: Re: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 12:42:04 +0000

>>>> Adding such a variable only two weeks after locked narrowing has been 
>>>> introduced means that modes will have little incentive to adapt to 
>>>> that stronger constraint, if they can "fix" whatever problems that 
>>>> constraint might cause by setting that variable to nil in their 
>>>> initialization hooks.
>>>
>>> Modes can do that already by changing long-line-threshold to nil, 
>>> don't they?
>>
>> They can indeed, but that variable is documented as "for debugging 
>> purposes" only.
>
> That never stopped anyone, IME.
>

At least they cannot tell the haven't been warned...

Can this change at least wait a few days?  I'm working on the next 
iteration of the code, I'll see if I can include such a feature.