Subject: Re: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:21:45 +0000

>>>>> There have been many more complaints about being unable to edit a 
>>>>> file with a 5000+ line comfortably, than about editing 100+ MB 
>>>>> files.
>>>> 
>>>> Also because we have things like so-long to handle the large file 
>>>> case.
>>> 
>>> These things are expedients for want of anything better, aren't they?
>> 
>> Yes, just like the narrowing your use in your long lines patch.
>
> That's... unfair.  These things turn off everything (in particular, the 
> major mode and font locking) and provide a bare-bones editing 
> experience. What we'd like now is to provide Emacs users a near-complete 
> editing experience in all buffers.
>

And, by the way, what could be a better solution?  Without assuming that 
computers have infinitely fast CPUs, that is?