Subject: Re: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 00:15:43 +0300

On 15.08.2022 23:53, Gregory Heytings wrote:
>>
>> I said those words just as I was working on improving font-lock's 
>> performance in JSON files. An effort which doesn't make sense if you 
>> narrow around font-lock anyway.
>>
>> Also note that until now it has been impossible to improve redisplay 
>> of big files by working on font-lock (other bottlenecks were much more 
>> significant).
>>
> 
> Wrong.  The (much more common) case of big files _without_ long lines, 
> in which the same font locking slowdowns already exist, has AFAICS not 
> been a sufficient incentive to improve font locking.

Okay, you're right about that.

There have been many more complaints about being unable to edit a file 
with a 5000+ line comfortably, than about editing 100+ MB files.