Subject: Re: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:19:26 +0300

On 13.08.2022 22:54, Gregory Heytings wrote:
>> It showed specific pitfalls we can take care of in other major modes 
>> as well.
>>
> 
> It doesn't.  Please do (on you Core i9 computer):
> 
> for i in $(seq 1 60); do cat dictionary.json; done > hugedictionary.json
> 
> Now open that file with the code on master, and with your branch, and 
> type M->.  With the code on master the effect is instantaneous (about 50 
> ms on my computer), with your branch it takes ~20 seconds (21 seconds on 
> my computer).  If you cannot see the difference, I don't know what else 
> I could say.  And please don't tell me "but this is not the kind of file 
> size we should care about".

Why would I tell you that after I already spent the effort (yesterday 
morning) to make sure the branch contains whole two alternative working 
strategies for handling such very large files?

Should I explain them again?