Subject: bug#56682: Fix the long lines font locking related slowdowns

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 21:27:21 +0300

On 07.08.2022 09:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 01:58:06 +0300
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>>
>>>> Either way, I believe the change is at the right level of abstraction,
>>>> and if it has bugs, they should be solvable without major redesign.
>>>
>>> Alas, Mr. ShouldBe is not available for this project, and probably
>>> won't be any time soon.
>>
>> No need to mock my request for a proper reproduction scenario.
> 
> It isn't mockery.

How else would I call that response to me saying that I need an 
actionable complaint. I.e. a scenario that reflects an realistic usage 
scenario and is possible to debug.

> My point is simple: we would like to solve this
> issue in the best possible manner in Emacs 29.  Keeping talking about
> what should and shouldn't be done doesn't advance us on that path.  If
> you have practical ideas to solve this in a way different from what is
> now on master,

That "if" doesn't sound very friendly either. I've been explaining 
"practical ideas" for the last couple of days.

And I've sent one patch to try already. One I'm assuming nobody aside 
from me even applied, as of now.

> feel free to push a feature branch with your proposed
> changes, or even install them as optional features on master, and
> let's compare the merits and demerits of each idea in practical use
> cases and on a variety of systems.
I will.