Subject: bug#56662: 29.0.50; Funny region highlights when highlight-nonselected-windows is t

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:08:07 +0200

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can think of one way this could potentially work is by checking if the
> mark was made when window was active so making the mark "window-aware"?
> I.e., if two windows A and B show the same buffer and the user typed
> C-SPC when in window A, then the region would not show up in window B.
> Does this make sense?  But I'm not sure if this heuristic will work at
> all times as it bends the notion of "active region" way too much.

I think what you're asking for here is really to make the mark a window
entity instead of a buffer thing.  (The point can be specified per
window, but the mark can't.)

I think that sounds like an interesting feature (and would allow having
different highlighted regions in different windows displaying the same
buffer), but sounds like it would be very backwards-incompatible.

I've also been annoyed by how showing the same buffer in two windows
isn't more...  "separate".  When editing two different sections of the
same buffer at the same time, it's really easy to get pretty confused
(especially when jumping to the mark with `C-x C-x').