Subject: bug#56662: 29.0.50; Funny region highlights when highlight-nonselected-windows is t

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 00:14:30 +0200

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If you deactivate the mark, there's no region, so I'm not sure why
>> you want to see highlighting in that case.
>
> OK, I see the full picture now, now that I re-read your reply to Kevin.
> If you change the mark in window B, then the region highlighting will be
> different from that of window A.  But currently there's no way to make
> window A highlight the region whilst having no region highlight in
> window B unless the point and the mark is the same in window B.  I hope
> I am right.  I think this is what Kevin (and I) want IIUC.

Right.  Paraphrasing my message, I like to keep useful snippets
highlighted in one window while working in another; it's frustrating to
have this break down just because both windows happen to display the
same buffer.

>> Are we talking about the Emacs region highlighting, or are we talking
>> about some other highlighting?  As the manual explains, the Emacs
>> selection highlighting is different from other applications in several
>> important ways.
>
> We are talking about Emacs region highlighting, and yes I do understand
> the difference between Emacs and other applications.
>
> In any case, I don't think there's any reasonable action we can take.
> "Active region" is already bending Emacs quite a bit, the current
> scenario seems to break the camel's hump in unexpected ways (altho
> there's always a reason to explain the behaviour).  Closing the bug
> report.

That's fair.  My argument for keeping it open would be that people who
would be able and willing to scratch that itch in the future might not
think to search for closed reports; but then again I suppose there's not
a lot of information in our present discussion that they wouldn't be
able to rediscover on their own.

Thanks for reporting this nonetheless; if anything, seeing someone else
bothered by the current behaviour was mildly cathartic.