Subject: bug#56662: 29.0.50; Funny region highlights when highlight-nonselected-windows is t

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 22:30:13 +0530

close 56662
thanks

[வியாழன் ஜூலை 21, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 21:43:28 +0530
>> 
>> [வியாழன் ஜூலை 21, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> 
>> >> > But that's a bug: region highlighting should definitely work in a
>> >> > selected window.
>> >>
>> >> It won't be a bug if the region is considered window-local.
>> >
>> > That's what the default already does, doesn't it?
>> >
>> 
>> No?  If I deactivate the mark in window A, it deactivates the mark in
>> window B too.
>
> If you deactivate the mark, there's no region, so I'm not sure why
> you want to see highlighting in that case.
>

OK, I see the full picture now, now that I re-read your reply to Kevin.
If you change the mark in window B, then the region highlighting will be
different from that of window A.  But currently there's no way to make
window A highlight the region whilst having no region highlight in
window B unless the point and the mark is the same in window B.  I hope
I am right.  I think this is what Kevin (and I) want IIUC.

> Are we talking about the Emacs region highlighting, or are we talking
> about some other highlighting?  As the manual explains, the Emacs
> selection highlighting is different from other applications in several
> important ways.

We are talking about Emacs region highlighting, and yes I do understand
the difference between Emacs and other applications.

In any case, I don't think there's any reasonable action we can take.
"Active region" is already bending Emacs quite a bit, the current
scenario seems to break the camel's hump in unexpected ways (altho
there's always a reason to explain the behaviour).  Closing the bug
report.