Subject: bug#56661: EMACSLOADPATH not set when using Guix System + Guix Home + SLIM + Mate

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:03:52 +0300

On 2022-07-22 11:32, Maxime Devos wrote:

> On 20-07-2022 19:47, Andrew Tropin wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how your login/display manager works, but for X11 session
>> sourcing ~/.profile from ~/.xsession should do the trick.
> Me neither, and I don't particularly care.
>
> If this is something that needs to be done, shouldn't _Guix System_ 
> create that file by default, for the same reason that Guix System 
> creates a ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile by default?  I don't see why I 
> would have to do that myself.

It's a tricky question, because it's a case on the edge of Home/System.
From one point of view it should be handled by some home service, which
will create a proper ~/.xsession or extend it and generic mechanism,
from some display managers will automatically source it, but on the
other hand maybe adjusting system services for other DMs, which doesn't
work "out of the box" yet is a way to go.  I don't have much experience
with X11, and don't see a whole picture, so it's hard to tell which
option is better.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin