Subject: 29.0.50; Error (wrong-type-argument font unspecified) on startup

From: OGAWA Hirofumi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 18:14:23 +0900

When starting emacs on terminal with `face-font-rescale-alist' config,
current emacs output the error like the following. (BTW, without "-nw"
works fine.)

$ cat > .emacs.el
(setq debug-on-error t)
(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist '(".*-AR PL.*-.*" . 1.2))
^D
$ emacs -nw

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument font unspecified)
  font-xlfd-name(unspecified)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1f0e974a4b1f82e7>)()
  normal-top-level()

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-07-19 built on devron
Repository revision: 4b807380cf756796ce197ac58cbbbe381c157a91
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xim --with-imagemagick
 --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  coterm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/git-modes/git-modes-autoloads hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/git-modes-20220422.1611/git-modes-autoloads

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mailalias emacsbug jka-compr misearch multi-isearch
help-fns radix-tree smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode hl-line
elfeed-show elfeed-search bookmark elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib thingatpt avl-tree url-queue xml-query
mule-util sort gnus-cite shr-color color mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg bbdb-gnus-aux qp gnus-ml gnus-topic url-http
url-gw url-cache utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm nnfolder bbdb-gnus
nnnil bbdb-mua spam spam-stat bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone
gnus-uu yenc gnus-demon gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom nndraft nnmh gnus-xoauth2 oauth2-ext
plstore gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit dired-aux dircolors-faces dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings flyspell ispell server
bbdb-loaddefs auth-source-pass rfc-autoloads company-yasnippet pp
url-auth debian-autoloads langtool-autoloads generic-x coterm term
disp-table shell pcomplete ehelp git-modes-autoloads flycheck-relint
relint compile text-property-search comint xr flycheck-pos-tip pos-tip
flycheck ansi-color find-func rx dash company-cscope company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company pcase autoinsert cl-extra
yasnippet help-mode elec-pair savehist browse-kill-ring delsel
tab-bar-session desktop frameset icomplete mozc-popup popup
mozc-im-indicater mozc-im advice mozc company-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads flycheck-autoloads info dash-autoloads
gnuplot-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads php-mode-autoloads
pos-tip-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads xr-autoloads package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
japan-util rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 935411 750051)
 (symbols 48 27472 30)
 (strings 32 736534 32638)
 (string-bytes 1 28932283)
 (vectors 16 270083)
 (vector-slots 8 3686441 289283)
 (floats 8 53354 4986)
 (intervals 56 4448 1431)
 (buffers 992 34))

-- 
OGAWA Hirofumi <[email-masked]>