Subject: Re: bug#5666: 23.1; please define push-tag-mark in etags.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 17:41:52 +0200

Richard Kim <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
writes:

> GNU/Emacs defines pop-tag-mark command to go along with find-tag
> command for traversing back in cursor movement history.  However
> GNU/Emacs does not define matching push-tag-mark command.  I would
> like to request that something like the following be added to etags.el
>
>   (defun push-tag-mark ()
>     "Push the current position to the ring of markers so that
>     \\[pop-tag-mark] can be used to come back to current position."
>     (interactive)
>     (ring-insert find-tag-marker-ring (point-marker)))

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately didn't get any
response at the time.)

Emacs now has the xref framework for this stuff, and it has
`xref-push-marker-stack', so I think this issue should now be solved,
and I'm closing this bug report.  If this is still something that should
be done, please reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no