Subject: bug#5664: 23.1.92; view-lossage

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 01:00:43 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> For eshell i didn't find good solution appart putting in my .emacs:
>
> (setenv "LC_ALL" "C")
>
> Work fine but may create other encoding problems in others places.
>
> The best thing should be that all emacs shell don't obey to locale
> setting for password prompt, i thing the word "password" in
> international well known.

You mean setting LC_ALL to C for all subshells?  I'm not sure that's
what most people would want.  But having the passwords show up in clear
text in the shell buffers is totally icky, too.  (I just fixed comint to
do the password recognition for the

[larsi@quimbies ~/src/emacs/trunk/lisp]$ ssh root@quimby
Password: 
Response: 

case just now, though.)

But for other locales: Perhaps Shell mode should have an interactive
function like `M-x shell-query-password', so that people can trigger the
non-echoing entry mode at will?  Or perhaps a keystroke to switch off
echoing, that would be ended when typing RET?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/