Subject: Re: bug#56607: 29.0.50; (setq auto-resize-tool-bars 'grow-only) has no effect (pgtk)

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 14:24:15 +0800

Richard Hansen <[email-masked]> writes:

> What I mean is we would inspect the size of the toolbar (before any
> clipping required to fit inside the container widget) then adjust the
> size of the container widget appropriately.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  What is being clipped to fit
inside the container widget?

> That's a good point.  Out of curiosity I looked into GTK4 and they did
> away with the toolbar class.  Users should instead use a GtkBox
> containing buttons, and apply appropriate styling.  libadwaita
> provides a toolbar style class for this purpose [1].  I'm guessing it
> would be straightforward to implement toolbar button wrapping in GTK4,
> if/when Emacs migrates to it.

It will be more straightforward to implement tool-bar wrapping.

But I gave up on the GTK 4 work I was doing, since GTK 4 is simply not
ready: it doesn't even support subpixel anti-aliasing, and has many
regressions compared to GTK 3 when it comes to display synchronization,
drag-and-drop, and selections.