Subject: bug#56606: closed (29.0.50; recent master fails with "creating pipe: too many open files")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 00:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56606: 29.0.50; recent master fails with "creating pipe: too many open files"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56606: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56606
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 29.0.50; recent master fails with "creating pipe: too many open files"
From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:05:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

-- 
-- Stephe

Subject: 29.0.50; recent master fails with "creating pipe: too many open files"
From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:49:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Windows, load the attached file:

M-x load-file debug-process.el

It signals an error, with the message "Creating pipe: Too many open
files".

On Debian the error does not happen. In Emacs 28, and in emacs master
in December 2021, the error does not happen.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-07-16 built on TAKVER4
Repository revision: 35d0a2e0a767838c24d5853be798313aed7a42df
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
System Description: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (v6.3.0.9600.20478)

Configured using:
 'configure
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig:/mingw64/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  debbugs-browse-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mailalias smerge-mode diff canlock bbdb-message
gnus-kill mule-util sort smiley gnus-cite flow-fill mm-archive mail-extr
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml vc-mtn vc-git diff-mode
vc vc-dispatcher debbugs-browse bug-reference utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndraft
nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nnml
gnus-cache bbdb-gnus network-stream nsm nntp gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file url-dired svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader
range message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader bbdb-mua bbdb-com pcase crm mailabbrev bbdb
derived bbdb-site timezone smtpmail sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time delsel cus-load stephe-theme noutline
outline easy-mmode path-iterator cl-extra help-mode whitespace dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs compile text-property-search comint
ansi-color uniquify-files icomplete xref project ring info package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify dbusbind w32 lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 366274 36249)
 (symbols 48 19973 3)
 (strings 32 79351 4442)
 (string-bytes 1 2356349)
 (vectors 16 59637)
 (vector-slots 8 1148125 74030)
 (floats 8 284 234)
 (intervals 56 2094 329)
 (buffers 992 28))

-- 
-- Stephe