Subject: Re: bug#56577: Logo reuse

From: Benson Muite <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 08:44:01 +0300

> 
>    > Thanks. It is commercial with a negligible margin at present.
> 
> That is nonetheless commercial.  That means we will need to think
> about what our policy should be.
> 
>                                                                    Two shirts
>    > with different logos from GNU software projects related shirts. For the
>    > other logo, the artist has given permission and is trying to make a
>    > store for their artwork.
> 
> We need to treat these two products (and two images) separately.
> 
> For the second image, for which the artist gave permission, I think
> that is between you and the artist.
> 
> Could you please show me the first image?  The one where you didn't get
> permission from the artist?  Or at least, tell me its URL so I can look?

Logo was taken from
https://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/etc/images/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/emacs.svg?view=log
Something similar but in PNG can be found at:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/images/a/a0/Icon_Emacs.png
For embroidery, DST files that contain the embroidery machine 
instructions can be created with free and open source software from SVG 
files.

> 
> You also mentioned the dog cartoon, but you didn't say clearly how
> that relates to these shirts.
> 
Embroidery can be done a single shirt at a time, allowing for 
customization.  Some images are difficult to embroider, in particular 
images with many colors and gradients. Direct to garment printing can be 
used in this case.  It may be helpful to have this option on the FSF and 
affiliated stores.  Probably a similar permission would be needed for 
this use case as for embroidery.