Subject: bug#56577: Logo reuse

From: Benson Muite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:59:06 +0300

>    > > If you want to make one shirt, and not commercially, I don't think you
>    > > need to worry about any legal issues about the image.
>    > >
>    > > The artists might appreciate being credited on the shirt.
>    > >
>    > Thanks. It is commercial with a negligible margin at present.
> 
> I don't understand that concretely.  Would you please state concretely
> the activity you have in mind?
I want to embroider a polo shirt with the GNU Emacs logo. The shirt with 
the GNU Emacs logo will be sold at a small margin.  DST files are an 
open format used to by embroidery machines.  Existing open source 
software can generate DST files from SVG files.  A suitable GNU Emacs 
logo in SVG format is [0].  The embroidered shirt will also have "GNU 
Emacs" on it. The logo in [0] does not contain any directly visible 
attribution information similar to [1], but something similar can be 
added if it is sufficient.  Attribution information can also be put on 
the shirt label.

0) 
https://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/etc/images/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/emacs.svg?view=log
1) https://www.gnu.org/graphics/dog.html
> 
> For clarity's sake, please discuss just one project at a time.
> If you say a little about several different projects, I won't understand
> any one of them.
> 
Ok. Will raise a separate ticket about GNU project logo and artwork 
licensing and reuse.