Subject: 29.0.50; archive-copy-file does not write file under tramp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 17:36:05 +0500

Hello, team!

Please try the following scenario:

1. Suppose we have two machines (local and remote) and some '~/1.zip'
   file in remote machine. Open the file via TRAMP from local machine:

   C-x C-f [RET] /ssh:user@remote:1.zip

2. Now select any file inside the archive and save it into remote
   machine (at the same remote directory):

   C [RET]

   The `file.txt' file of zero size appears (but sould be of `file.txt'
   content).

3. Switch to archive `1.zip' buffer and save `file.txt' again:

   C [RET]

   Emacs asks to overwrite remote `file.txt'.

4. Confirm overwriting and chack remote `file.txt' length. It is still zero.

Best regards,
Andrey Petrov.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-07-15 built on pva-msi
Repository revision: ed4ba79ea8f2be2d01f6447910e2c8319908d0d6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums leuven-theme gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit elec-pair cus-load windmove info package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cyril-util rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89621 14794)
 (symbols 48 10449 1)
 (strings 32 28909 1254)
 (string-bytes 1 868368)
 (vectors 16 16625)
 (vector-slots 8 222151 8365)
 (floats 8 62 17)
 (intervals 56 221 0)
 (buffers 992 10))