Subject: bug#56572: failed install on partition, backtrace attached

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 12:58:26 +0200

Hi Peter,

Peter <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I did manual partitioning because I didn't want to wipe the other
> partitions out.
>
> Set / and /home partitions, formatted as EXT4.
>
> Crashes as soon as it writes the changes, displays the backtrace and
> restarts the installer.

Ouch.  Could you confirm it was with the 1.3.0 installer?

It would seem that the bug comes from ‘read-partition-uuid’ returning #f
in this function:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(define (user-partition->file-system user-partition)
  "Convert the given USER-PARTITION record in a FILE-SYSTEM record from
(gnu system file-systems) module and return it."
  (let* ((mount-point (user-partition-mount-point user-partition))
         (fs-type (user-partition-fs-type user-partition))
         (crypt-label (user-partition-crypt-label user-partition))
         (mount-type (user-fs-type->mount-type fs-type))
         (file-name (user-partition-file-name user-partition))
         (upper-file-name (user-partition-upper-file-name user-partition))
         ;; Only compute uuid if partition is not encrypted.
         (uuid (or crypt-label
                   (uuid->string (read-partition-uuid file-name) fs-type))))
    `(file-system
       (mount-point ,mount-point)
       (device ,@(if crypt-label
                     `(,upper-file-name)
                     `((uuid ,uuid (quote ,fs-type)))))
       (type ,mount-type)
       ,@(if crypt-label
             '((dependencies mapped-devices))
             '()))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This can happen if a partition you chose to create actually contains
random data or a file system not supported by (gnu build file-systems);
this, in turn, can happen if you chose not to format partitions during
the installation process.

Could it be what happened in your case?

Ludo’.