Subject: bug#56567: closed (Re: bug#56567: [BUG] Gnome doesn't recognize applications path for flatpak)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 05:31:01 +0000

Your bug report

#56567: [BUG] Gnome doesn't recognize applications path for flatpak

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56567: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56567
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56567: [BUG] Gnome doesn't recognize applications path for flatpak
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Csepp <[email-masked]>
Cc: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 14:29:42 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Csepp <[email-masked]> writes:

> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Am Sonntag, dem 17.07.2022 um 06:03 +0000 schrieb Jacob Hrbek:
>>> Why is making a user configuration saner in comparison to making it
>>> work out of the box?
>> Because in this instance "making it work out of the box" entails
>> statefulness that most Guix users would typically like to avoid.  Plus,
>> we are not talking about a very complicated setup here, it's one line
>> of shell code to drop into your .bash_profile or similar:
>>
>> export
>> $XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS
>> "
>>
>> Now granted, if you wanted to account for the fact that XDG_DATA_DIRS
>> could be empty on some systems (some foreign distros rely on the
>> implicit default), then you'd have to code around that, but that's
>> again not within the scope of Guix System.
>
> Since I am running into this same issue on Sway, *even though* I added
> that line to my Zsh profile, I don't think the user config route is the
> right one to recommend.
> Editing environment variables certainly *seems* easy, but I consider
> myself fairly adept at Linux and I could not tell you in what order they
> are loaded, and clearly it matters, since j4-dmenu-desktop gets the
> wrong variables when launched from Sway, but the right ones when
> launched from a terminal.  Even though Sway was also run from a
> terminal, via dbus-run-session.
> So clearly there are a lot of moving parts, and a regular user who just
> wants desktop apps to work should not be expected to manually edit these
> files.

I think it may be that Sway will only honor ~/.profile and not
~/.bash_profile, or something like this?

I think the right approach here could be a home service as Liliana
suggested, to automated the required configuration.  I wouldn't like to
have to maintain this in Guix itself since flatpak is not a standard
component of it, and it seems being opt-in would be less surprising.

The same way GNOME on other systems doesn't recognize Guix installed
applications without you configuring your session files accordingly.

I'll now close this.  A guix home "service" patch would be welcome
though.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: [BUG] Gnome doesn't recognize applications path for flatpak
From: Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 01:07:06 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:
1. Install any flatpak app from a GNOME environment
2. Try to launch the app from activities  (the gnome menu accessible 
through super-key) and expect it to not find it

To fix this i was told that the path 
`~/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/applications` has to be appended 
in the environmental variable XDG_DATA_DIRS

-- 
-- Jacob Hrbek #StandWithUkraine