Subject: Re: bug#5655: incorrect paths for crt1.o, crtn.o, etc.

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:49:51 +0200

On 2010-04-27 09:11 +0200, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I guess it is this comment in src/m/amdx86-64.h. It seems to me that
>> the right fix is to set $canonical correctly on such a system to
>> i386-*-linux-gnu* rather than x86_64-*-linux-gnu*.
>
> Agreed, IMHO this is an ugly hack.
>
> Sven, what does
> ./config.guess 
> output on your machine?

x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

> It's doubtful that emacs is the only program that has to deal with
> this situation, it would be interesting to know what the usual
> practice is...

My experience is that nobody really cares.  Most programs build fine
despite the wrong guessed build system type, and for the ones that don't
you have to specify the --build option or run the whole build process
under linux32.

In Debian there is dpkg-architecture which prints correct values that
you can feed as --build and --host arguments, but I am not aware of a
general solution.

Sven