Subject: Re: bug#5655: incorrect paths for crt1.o, crtn.o, etc.

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:25:26 +0200

On 2010-04-27 09:04 +0200, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> Sorry about that. Can you try to debug it? It's not obvious to me why
>> that should happen. What is $canonical on your system?

x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

> I guess it is this comment in src/m/amdx86-64.h. It seems to me that
> the right fix is to set $canonical correctly on such a system to
> i386-*-linux-gnu* rather than x86_64-*-linux-gnu*.

This is a general autoconf problem, it uses "uname -m" which does not
describe the system adequately.

> /* Although we're running on an amd64 kernel, we're actually compiling for
>    the x86 architecture.  The user should probably have provided an
>    explicit --build to `configure', but if everything else than the kernel
>    is running in i386 mode, then the bug is really ours: we should
>    have guessed better.  */

Well, "./configure --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu" works, I can live with
that for now.

Thanks for tackling this problem, previously it had not been possible to
build a 64-bit Emacs with CC="gcc -m64", but now it is (using various
--without-foo options because the only available 64-bit libraries are
libc and ncurses).

Sven