Subject: bug#56535: 28.1; `no' and `no-ding' values for isearch-wrap-pause option (since Emacs 28.1) not working as documented

From: Arun V <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 12:51:53 +0530

1. Start emacs (vanilla install) with -Q option in command line
2. Select `Specific Option' from File Menu > Options > Customize Emacs
3. Specify isearch-wrap-pause option when prompted with `Customize variable:'
4. Click on the Value Menu button in the Customize Option buffer
5. Select either `No pause before wrapping' or `No pause and no flashing' value
6. Click on the "Apply" button in the same buffer
7. Perform an applicable forward or reverse search
8. Search wrap fails

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24,
cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2022-06-03 built on payasam
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured features:

ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:

value of $LANG: en_IN
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:

tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:

(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
misearch multi-isearch seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
wid-edit time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:

((conses 16 73697 9000)
(symbols 48 8461 1)
(strings 32 23365 1869)
(string-bytes 1 725489)
(vectors 16 15533)
(vector-slots 8 201941 7551)
(floats 8 29 38)
(intervals 56 229 0)
(buffers 992 12))