Subject: bug#56530: 29.0.50; mouse-2 cut selected text when cua-mode is enabled

From: David Ponce <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:22:17 +0200

Hello,

I noticed that now, when cua-mode is enabled, when I select a region
(with mouse or keyboard), then use mouse-2 click on another point to
insert the selected text, the active region is cut before to insert text
at the mouse-2 click for the first time. As far as I remember this is a
new behavior, and previously the selected region was not cut, but
copied, like when cua-mode is disabled.

The woraround is to first deselect the region before to click mouse-2 to
insert the previously selected text. This way the initially selected 
text is not cut.

Not sure this is expected, so this bug report ;-)

Thanks

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
  of 2022-07-13 built on kilauea
Repository revision: c679756a9fb3ebd9a9b5fa9c9c64641fe493e8d8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (KDE Plasma)

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/dponce --with-cairo --without-sqlite3
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.utf8
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load delsel cua-base rmc iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 48650 11785)
  (symbols 48 6173 0)
  (strings 32 15421 2063)
  (string-bytes 1 472483)
  (vectors 16 9531)
  (vector-slots 8 149129 13107)
  (floats 8 35 33)
  (intervals 56 222 0)
  (buffers 992 10))