Subject: Re: bug#56528: 29.0.50; Emacs lucid segfaults when X dies

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:49:26 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:53:59 +0530
> 
> > Btw, what do we expect Emacs to do in this scenario?  If the X server
> > is killed, Emacs cannot display anything, so why an abort is not TRT?
> > What practically interesting use case does this emulate?
> 
> Emacs is running as a daemon, I expect it to survive the death of X.

"Survive" how? by closing all the frames?

IOW, you are saying that when this happens, Emacs should test whether
it has a running server, and if it does, unconditionally close all the
frames?  Is that really useful?

> Emacs dying on me because I killed X is an annoyance since sometimes I
> need to restart X.

Why not close Emacs before that -- this way you get to keep all your
edits, instead of relying on error handling to succeed in doing that.