Subject: Re: bug#56527: 28.1; Crash on macOS with magit

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:36:23 +0200

On 22-07-17 17:41 , Jonathan Mitchell wrote:
> The good news is that I have since built Emacs 29 from the `master`
> branch, and I've not been able to reproduce the issue with it. I did
> some git bisecting on `master` and found that the below commit is the
> first one where I cannot reproduce the issue.
>
>
>     commit 5f1bd872478927ad4bc635502e74628d39885286
>     Author: Gerd Moellmann <[email-masked]>
>     Date:   Tue Jun 21 15:49:44 2022 +0200
>
> Prevent GC of window referenced from EmacsScroller
>
Interesting.  Thanks!

The reason for that fix were random crashes I experienced with 
Emacs/master.  I then found this using ASAN.

I wonder why I didn't catch that with ASAN on the emacs-28 branch.  
Maybe because I also had ENABLE_CHECKING set, which made Emacs slow with 
five o, together with ASAN and -g0.  Could be a timing thing,  I'm too 
lazy to check.

Anyway, I guess that is a good candidate for back porting to master, if 
Eli and Lars agree.