Subject: Re: bug#56514: 29.0.50; Improve ERC's URI scheme integration for irc:// links

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:55:20 -0700

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

>   1. The first patch strays outside ERC's turf. Should I open a separate
>      bug report for it? [1].

No need, as (IMHO) it's obviously correct.

>   3. Should I include the actual setup code for the integrations? If so,
>      where would that go? My initial plan was to just have it all live
>      in the docs, perhaps under a new Info node. BTW (re integrations),

My only comment is that it would be better if this all worked OOTB, but
also that it would be even better if it was easy to switch between erc
and rcirc in one centralized location (as opposed to having to redo the
song and dance for EWW, browse-url, gnus, etc.).

I'm not sure what's the best place to put it though.

>      I also threw in a .desktop file [2], knowing full well that folks
>      may just perceive that as more clutter polluting the Emacs tree.
>      Should I drop it? People wanting one can just make their own.

What does the .desktop file imply here?  Does it just make things easier
to setup or does it come with it's own menu entry in desktop
environments, etc.?  (I don't use any desktop environment myself.)

If it just makes setting things up easier, I don't see why we shouldn't
include it.