Subject: Re: bug#56513: 28.1; Vcard in a mime part with a utf-8 charset is displayed incorrectly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 00:32:42 +0200

Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Below I am re-posting an example of a vcard MIME attachment that Pascal
> had originally posted on the BBDB mailing list.  The odd thing about
> these MIME attachments is that vcard properties such as "org" and "adr"
> in the example below may include "quoted-printable" paramaters as part
> of the vcard itself.  So my understanding is that the decoding of the
> quoted-printable encoded strings and any subsequent coding-system
> decoding should be done by a vcard parser and not by a MUA when
> processing MIME attachments.

Ah, I see.

> The vCard format 4.0 (rfc6350) requires that vCards use utf-8, it does
> not permit other coding-systems.  I do not know about earlier versions
> of the vCard format.

I've now adjusted the vcard.el parser in GNU ELPA to decode the data
using utf-8, and that seems to fix the problem.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no