Subject: bug#56499: 28.1; Unable to open large file

From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 10:22:09 +0200

Apologies for the noise. I have found out that this problem is  
related to "metered connections". On those ones, Emacs cannot trigger  
opening of the file and is not capable of returning the right error  
message. Once I disable the option "metered connection" from the  
network, Emacs operates as expected. I suspect this cannot really be  
attributed to Emacs, except for the lack of error message in the first  
situation.

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> escribió:

>> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 15:46:40 +0200
>> From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>
>> I tried evaluating find-file-name-handler as suggested and it  
>> returns nil. I suspect it is due to OneDrive (and
>> now also Nextcloud's) virtual files, which live online until  
>> requested. Somehow opening the file does not
>> trigger the required download.
>
> Does the problem only happen with files that are not downloaded from
> the cloud?  What if you tell OneDrive to download that file, then  
> tryagain -- does the problem go away then?
   Juan José García Ripoll

Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
Calle Serrano 113b, Madrid 28006, Spain
Phone: (+34) 915616800 (dial 943107 when hearing the voice)
http://quinfog.iff.csic.es / http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com