Subject: bug#56497: closed (Re: bug#56497: Installation of emacs28 package fails)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 16:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56497: Installation of emacs28 package fails

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56497: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56497
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56497: Installation of emacs28 package fails
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: Emily Seville <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 17:59:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emily Seville <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've uninstalled emacs package with Emacs 27.1 via sudo apt purge emacs before
> installation of new Emacs. After that I've done sudo add-apt-repository
> ppa:kelleyk/emacs && sudo apt update. At the and I ran sudo apt install
> emacs28 and obtain the following error (Does it mean that package is
> broken?):

Since this is not a problem we can fix in Emacs, I am closing this one.

> trying to overwrite '/usr/include/emacs-module.h', which is also in
> package emacs-common 1:27.1+1-3ubuntu5

Yes, looks like the package you are trying to install conflicts with
"emacs-common" but that package doesn't specify that.  I suggest to
contact the package author.  You could also try to uninstall all emacs
related packages before installing that one.

For anything else please ask for help in a help group (help-gnu-emacs,
or something about Ubuntu).

HTH,

Michael.

Subject: Installation of emacs28 package fails
From: Emily Seville <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:05:44 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've uninstalled emacs package with Emacs 27.1 via sudo apt purge emacs
before installation of new Emacs
<https://launchpad.net/~kelleyk/+archive/ubuntu/emacs>. After that I've
done sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelleyk/emacs && sudo apt update. At the
and I ran sudo apt install emacs28 and obtain the following error (Does it
mean that package is broken?):

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra emacs-bin-common emacs-common emacs-el
emacs-gtk gstreamer1.0-vaapi libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0
libjs-modernizr
  libjs-requirejs libqt5positioning5 libqt5webchannel5
libqt5webengine-data libqt5webenginecore5 libqt5webenginewidgets5
libre2-9 ne-doc
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  emacs28-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  emacs28 emacs28-common
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 24.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 99.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/kelleyk/emacs/ubuntu jammy/main
amd64 emacs28-common all 28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04 [2,466 B]
Get:2 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/kelleyk/emacs/ubuntu jammy/main
amd64 emacs28 amd64 28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04 [24.3 MB]
Fetched 24.3 MB in 24s (1,014 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package emacs28-common.
(Reading database ... 306224 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack
.../emacs28-common_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_all.deb ...
Unpacking emacs28-common (28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04) ...
Selecting previously unselected package emacs28.
Preparing to unpack .../emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emacs28 (28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04) ...
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/include/emacs-module.h', which is also in
package emacs-common 1:27.1+1-3ubuntu5
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What is the best way to fix it? I don't want to mess up my OS.

-- 
*# Best regards, Emily Grace Seville.*
*[contacts]*
site *=* "*https://github.com/EmilySeville7cfg
<https://github.com/EmilySeville7cfg>"*
phone *=* "+79245201384*"*