Subject: bug#56497: Installation of emacs28 package fails

From: Emily Seville <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:05:44 +1000

I've uninstalled emacs package with Emacs 27.1 via sudo apt purge emacs
before installation of new Emacs
<https://launchpad.net/~kelleyk/+archive/ubuntu/emacs>. After that I've
done sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelleyk/emacs && sudo apt update. At the
and I ran sudo apt install emacs28 and obtain the following error (Does it
mean that package is broken?):

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra emacs-bin-common emacs-common emacs-el
emacs-gtk gstreamer1.0-vaapi libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0
libjs-modernizr
  libjs-requirejs libqt5positioning5 libqt5webchannel5
libqt5webengine-data libqt5webenginecore5 libqt5webenginewidgets5
libre2-9 ne-doc
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  emacs28-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  emacs28 emacs28-common
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 24.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 99.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/kelleyk/emacs/ubuntu jammy/main
amd64 emacs28-common all 28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04 [2,466 B]
Get:2 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/kelleyk/emacs/ubuntu jammy/main
amd64 emacs28 amd64 28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04 [24.3 MB]
Fetched 24.3 MB in 24s (1,014 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package emacs28-common.
(Reading database ... 306224 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack
.../emacs28-common_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_all.deb ...
Unpacking emacs28-common (28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04) ...
Selecting previously unselected package emacs28.
Preparing to unpack .../emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emacs28 (28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04) ...
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/include/emacs-module.h', which is also in
package emacs-common 1:27.1+1-3ubuntu5
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/emacs28_28.1~1.git5a223c7f2e-kk3+22.04_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What is the best way to fix it? I don't want to mess up my OS.

-- 
*# Best regards, Emily Grace Seville.*
*[contacts]*
site *=* "*https://github.com/EmilySeville7cfg
<https://github.com/EmilySeville7cfg>"*
phone *=* "+79245201384*"*