Subject: Re: bug#56497: Installation of emacs28 package fails

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 17:59:43 +0200

Emily Seville <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've uninstalled emacs package with Emacs 27.1 via sudo apt purge emacs before
> installation of new Emacs. After that I've done sudo add-apt-repository
> ppa:kelleyk/emacs && sudo apt update. At the and I ran sudo apt install
> emacs28 and obtain the following error (Does it mean that package is
> broken?):

Since this is not a problem we can fix in Emacs, I am closing this one.

> trying to overwrite '/usr/include/emacs-module.h', which is also in
> package emacs-common 1:27.1+1-3ubuntu5

Yes, looks like the package you are trying to install conflicts with
"emacs-common" but that package doesn't specify that.  I suggest to
contact the package author.  You could also try to uninstall all emacs
related packages before installing that one.

For anything else please ask for help in a help group (help-gnu-emacs,
or something about Ubuntu).

HTH,

Michael.