Subject: bug#56467: vala command compiles files instead of running them

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 15:35:44 -0400

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld      9 Jul 15 19:18 vala -> vala-0.54
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld     10 Jul 15 19:18 vala-0.54 -> valac-0.54
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld     10 Jul 15 19:18 valac -> valac-0.54
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nixbld nixbld 147248 Jul 15 19:18 valac-0.54
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld     12 Jul 15 19:18 valadoc -> valadoc-0.54
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nixbld nixbld 451032 Jul 15 19:18 valadoc-0.54
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld     24 Jul 15 19:18 vala-gen-introspect -> vala-gen-introspect-0.54
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nixbld nixbld   1067 Jul 15 19:18 vala-gen-introspect-0.54
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 nixbld nixbld     12 Jul 15 19:18 vapigen -> vapigen-0.54
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nixbld nixbld 720128 Jul 15 19:18 vapigen-0.54
>
> If you read attentively, you'll see there's no proper 'vala' binary,
> vala, vala-0.54 and valac are all symbolic links to valac-0.54, which is
> the compiler.
>
> Perhaps upstream changed the behavior?  Or it could be that they use
> arg0 (the program name) to infer different behaviors, which gets mangled
> by our wrappers.

I just confirmed the later in #vala on the gnome IRC server.  Let's see
what we can do.

Maxim