Subject: bug#5646: 23.1.50; URW Gothic L and URW Chancery L don't work; possibly others

From: Iain Dalton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:57:08 -0700

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When I shift click in Emacs and “Change Buffer Font...”, choosing URW
Gothic L or URW Chancery L do nothing, while some other URW fonts work.
I haven’t had any problems with other fonts, but I haven’t tried many.
I have URW Gothic L version 1.06.  Someone else in #emacs on freenode
has the same problem (he had URW Gothic L as his modeline face, and it
stopped working one day, presumably when he upgraded part of his
system).

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-27 on palmer, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20090909-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host'
'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN
-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed'
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: rcirc

Minor modes in effect:
  buffer-face-mode: t
  rcirc-omit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Hide or show this face.
Creating face editor...done
Change the state of this item.
Control whether this attribute has any effect.
Font family or fontset alias name.
Save all settings in this buffer? (y or n)
Saving file /home/iain/.emacs.d/lisp/custom.el...
Wrote /home/iain/.emacs.d/lisp/custom.el
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
~/.emacs.d/lisp/misc hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/misc
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/hex-util
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/g-client/json hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/json
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/sha1
~/.emacs.d/lisp/custom hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/custom
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/sym-comp hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/progmodes/sym-comp
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/python hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/progmodes/python
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5