Subject: bug#56459: 29.0.50; Edebug disables Eldoc

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 04:15:41 +0200

Hi Lars and others,

On 01/08/2022 13:48, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> and the behavior is still that only the edebug results are visible;
>> that is, eldoc's messages aren't covering up the edebug messages, but
>> they aren't showing up below them either and they're not even showing
>> up in any mode line.
>>
>> So the practical upshot is, I see no change in behavior; whatever
>> motivated that change seems to be a non-issue now.
> If I remove that check, I don't see any problems -- stepping through the
> code doesn't trigger eldoc, so there's no covering up of messages.  (But
> moving the cursor after stepping triggers eldoc, but that seems fine.)

What I'm seeing now, is stepping through Edebug often does invoke Eldoc, 
which triggers messages which do override edebug evaluations.

Which seems like a problem previously solved by that check.

Not sure if I've just started seeing this recently due to some later 
change (but neither eldoc nor edebug's history show anything relevant), 
or if I'd just actively been ignoring this for half a year.