Subject: bug#56459: 29.0.50; Edebug disables Eldoc

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 12:48:28 +0200

Noah Friedman <[email-masked]> writes:

> So in the current snapshot I'm running, 9dc0fdfdc1 (2022-07-02 07:04:32),
> it looks like the check for edebug mode was removed already

Sorry, I don't follow -- the code currently is

(defun eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p ()
  "Return nil if displaying a message would cause interference."
  (not (or executing-kbd-macro
           (bound-and-true-p edebug-active)
           ...

So the check for edebug is still there.

> and the behavior is still that only the edebug results are visible;
> that is, eldoc's messages aren't covering up the edebug messages, but
> they aren't showing up below them either and they're not even showing
> up in any mode line.
>
> So the practical upshot is, I see no change in behavior; whatever
> motivated that change seems to be a non-issue now.

If I remove that check, I don't see any problems -- stepping through the
code doesn't trigger eldoc, so there's no covering up of messages.  (But
moving the cursor after stepping triggers eldoc, but that seems fine.)